I wanted to share my first 5% turkey brine attempt in case anyone wants to have a go. It worked really well, just don’t follow the roasting instructions on the packet, I certainly could have done it less, so I adjusted the time below but go by the thermometer. I certainly overshot!
- 2.1kg Sainsbury Frozen Turkey Crown
- 2 Litres of water (500ml which you need to boil in a pan)
- 2 Minced Galic Cloves
- 100g Salt (to give a 5% brine)
- 100g Brown Sugar
- 4 Bay leaves (from the garden)
- 1 Large Orange for Juice and Zest
- 20 black peppercorns
- Add all your ingredients to the boiling water and simmer for a few minutes. Add to the 1.5l of cold water in a plastic tub with a lid.
- Defrost the turkey for 24 hours in the fridge so it never gets warm.
- Add turkey to brine when it is 100% cold!
- Leave for around 36 hours to brine
- Take out of the brine and roast on a trivet in a pan with water in the bottom and foil over the top.
- Cooking time from Sainsbury is wrong! I think you need static oven at 170C for around 100mins then see. Really it needs to be just cooked through and then rest for 30 min or more under foil. Carve or chill and use in sandwich OR with noodles etc..
I really like a Turkey sandwich and my mayo mix is mixed to taste every time…
Mayo Prawn Cocktail Ingredients…
- Full fat Mayo (rapeseed or olive all based)
- Smoked Paprika
- Lemon Juice
- Tomato Ketchup